Saturday, March 10, 2018

My Adventure | Mount Kinabalu

Assalamualaikum

April 2017

I've always wanted to do something out of my comfort zone and climb Mount Kinabalu is one of it.

Most of my family members and friends would never imagine me to do this kind of activities due to my personality.  I'm a shy and soft-spoken person. Also, I had to face some negative comments like...
"I don't think you have strength to be there"
"Are you sure you want to climb Mt. Kinabalu? Even Broga Hill you look like you're out of breath"
"Will you make it to the top?"

All these comments don't make me down but in other way it actually motivates me. My courage always rise when every attempt to intimidate me.

I had the opportunity to hike Mt. Kinabalu with my university friend, Siti. I registered months before with the help of Kak Salwa that I knew through my university friend. Mt. Kinabalu is the highest peak in South East Asia and we need to be prepared physically and mentally. Reading other people experience and do some research about the route, technique, suitable clothes and equipment really helps me a lot.
A short briefing by Malim Gunung before hike

Its advisable to bring only a small bag during hike. What I bring in my bag?

A pair of clean hiking shirt and pants -- but I don't use it because I don't shower at Laban Rata
A pair of clean socks -- easy for me to do my prayer
2L Hiking hydration bladder -- to prevent dehydration
Snickers -- energy bar to keep me energized
Headlamp -- prepared for hike at 3am
Walking sticks -- I rent it before hike
Altitude sickness pills
Windbreaker
Gloves

Do not wear any cotton materials. Make sure your windbreaker and gloves are water resistant, breathable and super lightweight so its easier to hike.


Mt Kinabalu are listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site not because of the height 4,095m, but the real treasure are its high density of endemic flora & fauna. There are two different trails to the peak, Timpohon trail are easier and faster while Mesilau are slightly longer but the view along this trail are much more beautiful. However, Mesilau trail are closed indefinitely due to inaccessible path which damaged much more severely by the earthquake on 2015 as compared to Timpohon trail.

Kak Salwa in front of Timpohon gate
Thus, at 7 a.m. we start our adventure using Timpohon trail with a total of 24 people in a group including 4 of our Malim Gunung. Overall, the trail was quite easy with a wooden stairs and there is also a checkpoint hut every 1 kilometer with benches to rest and enjoy the scenery.



After 6 km of hiking, I reach Laban Rata around 3 p.m. and had my lunch at the cafeteria buffet. The food is delicious, you just named it everything from nasi lemak to english breakfast all are served and we can have everything since its included in our entrance fee.

The view at Laban Rata
After our feast, I had some rest at the lodge and get ready for summit climb tomorrow morning. Woke up at 3 am and straight went to the cafeteria for a super early breakfast. I ate my altitude sickness pills after my meal and met our guide who was waiting outside for us and other 100 plus hikers for a briefing. I left my bag at the lodge and only took a small water bottle, snickers, double my socks, wear my headlamp, my gloves, my windbreaker and not to forget walking sticks. The trail to the summit was steep but it was made easier with a ropes to hang on to and our Malim Gunung really help me a lot during my summit climb.




Dark, windy and cold weather with minimal oxygen makes me hard to breath and this time it really test me mentally. We need to be extra careful and at the same time rushed to the checkpoint before 5a.m. If not, we can't proceed to the summit and need to descend back to Laban Rata. After 3 hours, I reached the top and had some snickers first before taking a picture because I don't even have energy for that.
Took a picture with three quarter of the team that make it to the top

Finally with Siti
                           

We heading down to Laban Rata and had our meal first before packing our stuff to descend. I took many pictures when descending because its more beautiful since lighting is good. Walking sticks really helped me when descending, the hardest part for me are descending from Laban Rata to Timpohon gate because the trail are stairs and I need descend on 1000 plus stairs for about 6 hours. I can't feel my legs after that 6 hours. This last for a week and I need to descend backwards for any stairs after this adventure.


                           



So I make a short video about my adventure. You guys can take a look more about my adventure on my Youtube Channel ---> Aai






Now its time to be in reality and do my work.






No comments:

Post a Comment